Tuesday, March 5, 2013

School: Day 1

School: Day 1 

So as I mentioned in my previous post school started this week on Monday! On sunday night i brought out my map that i was given at orientation and got to highlighting and circling my classes. Because I am an engineering major, I spend most of my time and have all my major classes on the Science Campus, which happens to be up a very inclined hill on Anam Street Yahy!!! I will have to take pictures sometime but even then i dont think it will do it justice. Literally i fell like all of KU, where i live so basically Anam-dong is a hill everyday i walk up and down the inclines lol. I don't even have to feel bad for not alloting time to exercise because walking to classes and back home is a workout in itself. It takes about 8-10 minutes to get to the main campus and another 10 or so depending on how i "Climb" up the hill lol so about 20-30 minutes on any given day.. ugh!!!!!!!!



sciences is the lower left

science campus classes

main campus classes


Back to School Stuff.... So I am taking 5 classes in total

  1. Signals and System
  2. Probability and Random Process
  3. Begineers Korean Language I
  4. Electronic Circuits w/Lab
  5. Social Change
My Schedule:
So No classes on Friday!!!!!!!! 4 Day weekend, Yeah! Yeah!  lol. Its great that i have breaks in between my classes midday but since i don't live close to either campus and the breaks in between are classes on both campuses, i don't know what to do with my time. Guess i'll be spending a lot of time in the Library lol! 

Classes:

So on Monday I had two of my three major classes and Beginners Korean. Whats really nice about my Mondays especially being Monday my first class is 2nd period! 

So i forgot to Explain this but Korea University and quite possibly other Korean Colleges/Universites may also follow a period schedule. Unlike GW and other American Schools THERE ARE NO 8AM! WHOOOOOOOOO

Period Schedule:
(1) 09:00 ~ 10:15
(2) 10:30 ~ 11:45
(3) 12:00 ~ 12:50
(4) 13:00 ~ 13:50
(5) 14:00 ~ 15:15
(6) 15:30 ~ 16:45
(7) 17:00 ~ 17:50
(8) 18:00 ~ 18:50
(9) 19:00 ~ 19:50
(10) 20:00 ~20:50
(11) 21:00 ~ 22:00

The classes still are like 2 days a week, so MW or TR but my korean class meets everyday except Friday.

So on Monday I woke up around 7:50/8am and left by 9:00 to give myself time to walk to campus and find all my courses. When i made it to the top of the hill/beginning of the science campus, i pull out my map to try and find my first class building. Immediately i am approached by two guys who ask me where i am looking for and direct me there. It was really easy to Find! KOREAN PEOPLE ARE HONESTLY THE NICEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVERY MET! Almost and Hour early i decide to go and find the other building for my next class and on my way i ended up finding the library! All the buildings on the Science Campus are sooooooo nice and modern and cool and don't look like a school. The Main Campus looks like Castles and Royal-like but even then not old!

I entered my first class and there were people already there just as early as i was lol! ALL Boys of course! I sit next to one of them, and we start talking. His name is Doyoon. He speaks english really well and is also really nice. So in that class i am 1 of 3 foreigners-Shayda is in this class with me- and 1 of about 5 girls which is pretty nice. 

My next class, which Doyoon saved me by coming to find me when i went to the wrong class because the room changes from M and W.  Alix is in this class with me so its nice. I also noticed a couple of girls. Since i was late i didn't really get to see the whole class. This professor seems really cool and his english is impeccable. From past experiences of previous Exchange students although the classes were in english apparently the professor either spoke in korean or their english was not very good but that not my experience thus far.

So none of the language classes are being held this week. we just showed up filled a form and had the option of having an interview to be placed in Beginners II for those who spoke some korean but that did not apply to me or most of the people i know lol 

Some pictures of campus-mostly science campus:
first class' building

entrance

hallway, GWU WHY DONT YOU HAVE COMPUTERS IN THE HALLWAY OF BUILDINGS??


library on Main Campus

Library


Library

Stopped by the CNN Cafe in Inchon Memorial because the had free americanos and i got a coupon when i was walking to class in the morning :)


I ended up calling it a night pretty early because my tuesday classes start 1rst period and im kinda of sick. Somehow me and phoebe have some sort of cold. My voice has been raspy for the past few days but on Monday it was really bad and noticeable that i was sick.

Sorry for the long post, just so much to document!

No comments:

Post a Comment