Saturday, May 17, 2014

Engineering World Health Summer Institute-Nicaragua '14


¡Bienvenido!
Since I have decided to continue writing on the same blog about my adventures in Nicaragua, I see it fit to re-introduce myself again and any new audience this trip may accrue.  


My name is Adedayo O. Jobi-Odeneye, and I am Nigerian-American. In case you are wondering, my name is pronounced Aah-day-dhye-o, and it means "The crown has turned to joy."I am a rising senior at The George Washington University in Washington, DC. I am a Biomedical Engineering Major. I am interested in the fields of Global Health and Medicine and hope to combine my Engineering background with these fields to make a impact in area of Global health development.  My blog "Plat de résistance" meaning, "the best part", the main course, "the highlight",  recounts my amazing experiences abroad and my journey to fulfilling my dreams. I began writing  when I studied abroad in Seoul South Korea, from March -August 2013.


This summer, from May to end of July, I shall be participating in the Engineering World Health Summer Institute Program in Nicaragua. Engineering World Health, is a Non-Profit Organization, with a mission to empower Biomedical Engineers to improve healthcare delivery in the developing world.EWH, has Biomedical Engineering Technician Programs globally: Africa  Asia, and Latin America  in which they teach  and train groups of Engineering Technicians to better serve the countries and communities by repairing and maintaining medical equipment. The Summer Institute Program which, I am participating in is allows for college students and graduates to engage in a cultural and academic experience learning the language of the country they are working in and learn hands on technical skills to help repair equipment in public hospitals and rural clinics. 

EWH was created by Professor.Bob Malkin and Mohammad kiani in 2001 and has later collaborated with Duke Engineering  School, where Professor.Malkin teaches in the BME department, and the Duke Engage Initiative program.   I really encourage you all to learn more about the program and Donate to the organization. Professor. Malkin did a TED Talk: 

Dr. Robert Malkin - "Donations Hurt"



This will be my first time traveling to Central America and this makes me very excited. A friend of mine once told me that my Bucket-List should include living-even for short period of time- in every continent, and I say with the exception of Antarctica, but hey, we never know :)

I leave tomorrow morning, Newark --> Miami--> Managua! I hope to share my adventures and experience over the next two months here so stay tuned.

**Special Thanks to The Derfner Foundation and The Donald and Alice Noble Foundation for their funding and scholarship and making it possible for me to participate in the program. 

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment