Friday, May 30, 2014

Nicargua is NISE NIAAZE!

Week 2 and Reflective Thoughts

I can't believe its coming to the end of week 2. Everything really is going well. I think this week was all about settling into our lives in Nicaaragua as well as having a routine. There wasn't much new things although i continued to take pictures of my meals.

Weekly Meal Pictures:
Monday

Tuesday


Wednesday

Friday( since Hospital was on Thursday)

On Monday this week, i went running in the morning, which I'm really proud of myself but I AM OUT OF SHAPE! And the Heat definitely is not a great addition. I hope i can run at least once or twice a week while i am here and hopefully incoperate that when i am back at school. Yoga is going Great! I can see  myself getting more flexible and i was able to do or partially do some poses that i would have never imagined i could do. I think everyone as a whole is really proud of their progress and we are enjoying pushing our bodies and finding out what we can do. This week almost all of us did yoga including the boys this time, which was cool. This Wednesday, I was able to go to Zumba with Eva, Emily and their host sister as i missed it last week. It was really fun, and actually a bit tiring and it was a Hot room soo we were all sweating profusely. The instructor was a man and MAHN does he haves some moves. He actually put all the women to shame! It was really when i knew one of the songs because my roommate from last year Marissa(Miss you!) used to test out her Zumba routine with me in our room. Unfourtunately no picture evidence but when i got back i was very tired and sweaty and laid down for like good 30mins.


This week in Spanish, we are having more involved conversations and its really cool how we are able to have engaged conversations. I must admit i am a little more reserved in class than i usually am. I think I'm just still readjusting to remembering all my vocabulary and all the tenses. One of the days of class we had to talk about our religion and what our religion believes, when we go to church, pray, and rules etc and it was really interesting to learn about everyones religion especially when talking in spanish. We also learnt some Nicaraguan Histrory and its very interesting. Last week on our way to the hospital our professor was in the same cab and told us some Nicaraguan history about William Walker,an American who tried to take over the Nicaraguan government. I got to share that in class since no one in my group knew the story. It also goes to show how distrust of Americans is ingrained in tther past/history. I only learnt spanish for 3 years-my first three years of High school- and its been 4+ years since I've had a class or tried to speak spanish so Im quite proud of myself and look forward to constant progress especially next month in the Hospital. I do have to do a better job or remembering and making time to learn all the spanish vocal for the tools name and i do have a PDF from school on triaging in spanish, which could come in handy.


In regards to class, we have learnt so much. We had labs/lectures on Blood Pressure, Fluid Pumps, Pulse Oximeter, EKG's  and Defribalators all this week. Fun Fact, EKGs are the most common only donated Medical Equipement in the Developing world.

FlashLight!
In Lab we made Flash Lights and  Power Supplies. On another note, what i have learnt from all the reading is, first and foremeostly Manuals-presence or lack of and the language is written in- really is makes a big difference. One of the biggest problems that occurs is user error and that is mainly correlated with not having or being able to read the manual. Another problem being power supply depending on the country the different Frequencies and voltage. Whether it is 50/60 Hz or 120/230V  affects which country receives the equipment because it may be useless. The US and Nicargua happen to have the same voltage and frequency and the people in Tanzania will see they have the same as Europe. Another common problem is the resuse of non-resusable parts which is not hygienic nor good for the longevity of the equipement.  This may be an Engineering based program but I'm learning so much in terms of healthcare and Global Health.

I am very happy with my experience although at times things may get frustrating but i really am enjoying myself and learning a lot. The other people in the program really are nice and fun people and also make the whole experience. Also its always great to be surround by  your peer who share the same interests and passions.So many here are all working on their Medical School Apps and i am so excited for them its great seeing someone else directly go through the process and in some ways i am sad and jealous but my time will come hopefully! All in Gods time and life plan for me and if not i know my knowledge, skills and passions will shine and be of greater use elsewhere. I also started doing some Graduate school research. Global Health Here i come!

Thanks for  enduring my reflective moment. More exciting pictures and recounting of weekend actives and Nicaraguan Mother's Day to come!

Happy Mother's Day(Nicaragua)
Adios :)




No comments:

Post a Comment